Sunday, November 08, 2009

The Pledge of a Lifetime...

I pledge allegiance................. to no more dating...................................until 2011.

That wasn't an error.

I've already closed the bank on 2009 and I'm waving the white flag even before 2010 has begun.

I'm done with the whole dating scene for a very, VERY, VERY long time. That's 13 dateless months ahead of me...if you're keeping track at home. I'm not asking any women out in 2010, and even if she asks me out (its dutch or she paying for both of us or we're not going out at all). That's the agreement.....should she choose to accept it.

I told one female friend of my plan. She said "no (expletive) way. I'm giving you 9 months.

I told another female friend of my plan. She said "the flesh is weak. I'm giving you 6 months.

I told one male friend of my plan. He said "you will last 3 months. If you go beyond that without a "true date" then I'll treat you to anything you want."

Place your bets (9, 6 and 3 months are already taken) and I'm strongly advising you not to go against me unlike three of my friends. They apparently think they know me. lmao. I'll enjoy collecting my winnings from them on Jan. 1, 2011 but I'm always looking for a few more "investors" for my pledge of a lifetime because I have a plan.

What my friends don't know is that one ex-girlfriend has famously dubbed me as "one stubborn son of a (expletive)." As badly as I'm addicted to cable and HBO, I gave that up in 2008...cold turkey...and I haven't looked back since. In addition, I haven't bought a video game for my PlayStation in over 2 years. I haven't bought a CD in over a year (but I still buy a DVD once a month). I no longer eat out every weekend (that's down to only 2 weekends a month and it will probably be 1 weekend in 2010). I no longer go to the barber to get my haircut...I do that myself. If there is one thing, I'm not afraid to do...it is to commit...and I have a pledge of a lifetime to now fulfill.

My friends should have seen this coming. I went on a million dates in 2007. I trimmed that to 100,000 in 2008. It was cut down to only 7 in 2009. To go from 7 to 0 in 2010 will be no problem. Dating is expensive especially in the New York/New Jersey area and I'm tired of the whole game. Actually, I'm refusing to play any more. I think very few women are real anyways, so I figure I'm going to save a heck of a lot of cash by not chasing any women for 13 months.

What am I going to do with my new found savings? I'm planning to take two, possibly three, vacations in 2010. I'm absolutely going to the Essence Music Festival in New Orleans. I'm absolutely taking an international vacation (destination hasn't been determined yet) and a domestic vacation is contingent on a few other things. But if I can afford three, I'm taking them all. If it is only two, it will be two lavish vacations for me, myself and I.

This will be a pledge of allegiance that I will gladly honor.

16 comments:

Tiffany S. Jones said...

I won't bet against you, Mr. Christie. I will say that you're bold to make such a declaration out in the open where people can call bullsh*t when you glance at a woman.
Good luck. While I will admit the flesh is week, it is quite a possible feat to go a year, I did four years of celibacy in which I didn't date, so it could happen. You should prolly get a buddy or even a sponsor like substance abusers. That way, you'll have sody to keep you on track. ;-)

Tiffany S. Jones said...

Somebody*

Shruti said...

Sometimes when you're not looking is when love can come along. I hope you are not too stubborn to recognize that!

(P.S. I think its because when we are actively looking, we try to make everyone into our ideal someone, even if its obviously not so. If you're not looking, but someone comes along, it's hard not to notice!)

journiemajor said...

Sooooo you're not screwing either? You're not going to spend any type of one on one time with a woman? Or you're still gonna have a cut buddy, just not date her?

spchrist said...

@Shruti. I'm at a dangerous point in my life where I'm not sure I want to be married and have kids any more. If this 13 months goes too well, I might change my mind for good and become a bachelor for life.

@journiemajor...well...since the formula usually is...guy asks girl out. guy spends money on girl. guy eventually finds out if girl really likes him. guy eventually gets some sort of affection from girl.

Since, I'm not doing part 1 or 2 of that formula for 13 months...this will greatly decrease my chances to get to the "promised land". If a woman wants to go out with me in 2010, she'll be paying for herself or we don't go out at all. If I do happen to make it to the "promise land" it will not be because I wined and dined any women in 2010. I have proven that doesn't work for me any more. As I said very early in my blog entry the bank is closed and will not reopen until Jan. 1, 2011. So, now I'll find out if women really do want to get to know me or just looking to see what they can get out of me before I figure it out. This hard stance is a consequence that I'm willing to accept.

spchrist said...

@Smarty Jones...I made the declaration out in public because that's the only way I would abide by it..now I can't take it back. lol... I will say the temptation in the New York/New Jersey area is very strong...but an international vacation and going to Essence sound so much better.

Latrice Davis said...

I wish you well in fulfilling this pledge -- I just hope that you're embarking on this mission for the "right reasons" (whatever that may be). It sounds like you've encountered a lot of frustration on the dating scene ... and while I've also had my share of disappointments, I'm not one for putting up barriers, either.

When I got braces back in 2004, I made a conscious decision to take myself out of the dating game for the following two years. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be ... but I also know the challenge isn't for everyone.

Rhine Family Blog said...

Don't take this the wrong way, but you sound like a fed up woman. And I mean that you're being contemplative and possibly allowing fate to take place rather than trying to control the dating sphere by taking yourself out all together. I think you'll meet someone (maybe yourself) during this process. Godspeed.

Zuri said...

For goodness sake, this is too funny. But I'm more interested in what triggered the shutdown than the actual pledge to shut it down. Do tell.

spchrist said...

@Latrice...FRUSTRATION...might be the understatement of the year. Hey, even Jesus rested on the 7th day...I'm just stretching that out to 13 months.

@Southern Girl...I doubt it. I think it will probably drive women away but those are women I probably don't want to deal with anyways.

@Zuri...I could write a tell-all book in the future. lol. So, let me keep the guilty parties in suspsense a lot longer.

Ladynay said...

I am not placing any bets.

Good Luck man!

Anonymous said...

hats a long time to go without dating. But hey, if you succeed I am proud of you. What caused you to leave the scene?

My recommendation for overseas travel is Capri, Italy. One of the most beautiful places on this planet

Straightlovely said...

I'm laughing at this because I'm on the other side of the coin. I decided to stop dating because I was tired of being proactive and asking men out, going dutch, or paying for the entire date altogether. Or for being used for a temporary fill or just for what "they" could get. I'm a little cynical and a little bitter...and when you feel that way, it's not hard to go 13 months without dating. You can do it...not only because I've done it but because anyone can do anything if the circumstances are right. Peace and blessings to you brother. I hope you get much from this.

spchrist said...

@Ladynay...thanks.

@Epsilonicus...you couldn't tell the frustration in my blog post. lol. I'm thinking about England for my next overseas trip but I don't know anyone there. So, we'll see.

@Straightlovely...O.K. You must not live in the CT, NY or NJ area. I'm hoping to get some piece of mind.

Me said...

I'm all for great vacays (I should be seeing you at Essence!) and loving and treating oneself...but I dunno if swearing off dating is necessary to do it. If a nice lady comes along in 2010, I hope you don't miss out on it....

spchrist said...

@Delect...well that's a challenge I'll face in 2010. I'm trying to enjoy the last of 2009...right now. lol.