Saturday, October 07, 2006

Time to Upgrade Phone?

I'm in the market for a new cell phone (and maybe a new cell phone carrier…more on that later).

I've been a Cingular customer for the longest time. Actually, I was a CellularOne customer until Cingular bought out CellularOne a while back. I love my plan (Cingular's Nation 450 Rollover & 5000 Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-To-Mobile Minutes) and I'm a responsible cell phone user.

Now, I've had the Nokia 1100 for about 3 years now.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It is time to change my phone. I'm currently feeling the Nokia 6030.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I'm looking for suggestions on phones with these requirements.


  • I don't do flip phones. I tend to drop my phones…and I'm sure I would break a flip phone the first time I drop it.
  • I love Nokia phones. In fact, every phone that I've owned has been a Nokia phone. I would like to continue this tradition, if possible. I will consider other brands as long as they meet my other requirements.
  • I think I paid like $50 for my first cell phone and every phone since then has been free with a new contract and all. I don't want to spend more than $100 (which is the twice the cost of my bill each month) for a cell phone.

    Now, I'm intrigued by the wireless broadband laptop cards that the various cell phone companies have. I don't know the names of all the cards by each company but I see the Verizon commercials all the time. My best friend recommends T-mobile's card but I'm not enamored with T-Moble's cellular coverage to switch. I'm leaning towards Verizon's car because of the commercials but then I would have to switch to Verizon's cell phone service. I'm not sure I want to do that just yet. I haven't heard a single about Cingular's broadband card…so I'm not sure what to do.

8 comments:

Mahogany Misfit said...

I like a good old fashioned land line personally. I prefer communicating that way. I do currently have a Kyocera cell phone which I rarely talk on but my minutes are prepaid thru Alltel cause I hate talking on fucking cell phones and I hate signing contracts even more. But the biggest issue is, I'm surrounded by mountains down here and it causes you to drop calls all the damn time. Grrr...I hate it!

SNM said...

Cingular and Verizon have bullshit plans compared to T-Mobile. 1000 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited multi-media messaging. I will stay w/ T-Mobile like, forever. And they're expanding the network for better internet service, so you might take a look at them. Plus they have cool phones.

Ladynay said...

I am no help in this area, sorry love...

-_- said...

I can't help in terms of service and companies, since they greatly differ up here in Can-a-DUH...but I CAN help you with technology part.

What about those Sidekicks? I'd get me one of those.

In terms of style and longevity- can't go wrong with a slider. I bought mine last November and fell in love with it. It's different that everybody's standard flip or column phone. And the battery life on it is RIGHTEOUS. I don't have a landline so this thing is always on. It needs charging every 6 days or so.

Not a slider person? How about this one? I don't know about their coverage...I'm going on looks only. ;) And I think the Kickflip is HOT!

I used to have a push-to-talk phone with my carrier and I was told Nextel was pretty similar. They offer mostly flip phones but they're quite rugged.

Hope that helped.

-_- said...

Oh yeah - in terms of brand (I used to work for the cellular company I currently have service with) - LG is off and on. They did very well with the LG535 but other than that... ugh.

Motorola has usually been my choice. Owned 3 Motorola's.

Jameil said...

verizon has the best service. as soon as dec hits i'm switching to them. just don't go to sprint whatever you do. i love flip phones but i think i'm abt to go for the blackberry.

NegroPino™ said...

****UPGRADE U******

Sherlon Christie said...

Thanks for the suggestions....I'll give ya'll an update very soon